Martin> Is there any reason why the Caption layout in stdlayouts.inc
Martin> only knows about centering? It used not to be that way.

Captions have no alignment.

To be more precise, the alignment rule of captions is 'center me if I
am shorter than a line, and use block alignment otherwise'. We chose to
show it as center, but it is arbitrary to some extent.

As far as I know, one cannot change this alignment rule (except that I
am sure that some nifty package somewhere can do it...).

This is only for the stcok classes, of course.