On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:36:25PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes spake thusly:

> Martin> Is there any reason why the Caption layout in stdlayouts.inc
> Martin> only knows about centering? It used not to be that way.
>
> Captions have no alignment.

Earlier they had... ah, I see. There was only the appearance that they
had.

> To be more precise, the alignment rule of captions is 'center me if I
> am shorter than a line, and use block alignment otherwise'. We chose to
> show it as center, but it is arbitrary to some extent.

Yes, I would have preferred block in that case.

This deceived me; I saw the centered caption and thought that somehow
it was inherited from my new code to center the float inset around it.
It took me a little while to shake off that idea...

> As far as I know, one cannot change this alignment rule (except that I
> am sure that some nifty package somewhere can do it...).

Yes, a package called imaginatively 'caption'.

> This is only for the stcok classes, of course.
>
> JMarc

- Martin