On Wednesday 19 November 2003 15:29, Martin Vermeer wrote:

  One of the problems with Martin's messages is that you need to think a bit
about them. ;-)

[...]

> You see, the main difference between LaTeX and XML is, that while
> LaTeX is a (one!) mark-up language, XML is a meta-language or
> 'language construction kit'. (So when Microsoft say that their Office
> formats will be XML based, that means next to nothing :)

  With all the cleaning your cleaning going on I am tempted to rename docbook
to SGML and the make docbook as an instance of that. :-)

  The support for xml can be done with the flavour dialect.
This will add
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="latin-1"?>
in the begin and take care of specific xml details inside.

 and/or adding a new attribute to the layout class describing its header.
This is also be usefull to linuxdoc.

"  PUBLIC \"-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN\""  for SGML docbook
" system" for linuxdoc
"  PUBLIC \"-//AGU//DTD article American Geophysical Union DTD version
3.42//EN" for AGU
"  PUBLIC \"-//W3C//...XHTML...//EN\"" for xhtml

> This means that, whereas LaTeX has lots of add-on packages, the core
> language is pretty fixed. This is why the hard-wired stuff for
> item-environments works without much parametrization. Also LaTeX is
> much less verbose with its mark-up than most XML dialects.
>
> Though I have said earlier that the AGU format is a variant of
> DocBook, the differences in syntax between original DocBook and
> AGU DTD are massive compared to what you can find between any two
> LaTeX document classes.

  True.

[...]

> I hope this clears up things a bit.
>
> Hoping for one (or more) of three outcomes:
>
> 1) a serious in-depth discussion
> 2) go-ahead for checking this in (with or without the AGU stuff)

  After your last patch I favour this one, but then I am suspect. :-)

--
José Abílio