On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 05:30:58PM +0000, John Levon spake thusly:

> It has some real problems IMHO. We need to be careful here.
>
> What are people's future plans in this regard ? I know its already been
> discussed wrt how the inset should look, but I have real issues with
> this stuff being in the Insert menu at all. I'd muich rather see text
> style being a submenu in Edit.

Fine with me!

> But since this is really only a halfway
> house to what we really want, that might not be suitable.

What *do* we/you really want?

> But it's
> slightly weird to have some completely different UI for handling logical
> styles from physical settings, as we have currently.

Hmmm perhaps. Did I point out already that I don't really like physical
character attributes? :-)

I can see your problem though. Having insets is a quite different
paradigm, but is conceptually cleaner and more practical to implement.
IMHO.

An essential difference is that a char attribute can be applied or
unapplied. An inset can only be inserted (i.e., "applied" after
selecting the text to be contained in it.)

Of course code for deleting or "unapplying" an inset (e.g., backspace
in pos 0, like in math) could be created as well. But what you will
never be able to do in this paradigm is "unapplying" a charstyle for a
piece in the middle of an applied charstyle, as you can do with
physical attributes -- or more generally, creating arbitrary bit
patterns of attributes. (But then I would argue "why would you want
to?")

> regards
> john

- Martin