On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:54:37PM +0100, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | This intention of this 'nucleus/operator->' pair instead of the usual
> | 'nucleus/nucleus' pair was to be able to find the non-const accesses
> | with grep. [They are sort of 'unwanted' in the light of potential
> | shared_ptr usage and each use should be justified explicitly...]
>
> Not exacly documented in the sources...
>
> Ok... then operator-> should stay as it is and a operator* should be
> added, so that the t.operator-> construct can be removed.
>
> But I don't really understand why non-const access is bad?

I wanted to set up some kind of reference counted implementation for
MathAtoms at some point of time so I thought I'd better try to prevent
non-const accesses.

The point may be completely mood, though. First of all, that waste of
memory does not have a visible impact on mathed performance as far as I
can tell, and then, one of the (semi-)standard shared pointers might do
better than any home grown solution I'd have come up with in the end.

Andre'