On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:38:48PM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:

> Me too, if only because hacking into the Qt event loop turns out to be
> a right PITA.
>
> Nonetheless, playing devil's advocate, why is Strategy 2 better than
> the existing strategy of using a Timeout to reap the children also?
> (Genuine question.)

Because zombies are a global resource user whereas an internal list of
dead children is not. Our list doesn't sit in the process table.

> > Well, if Qt had support for reaping children...
>
> You're the Qt guru here. If you tell me it doesn't then it doesn't ;-)

AFAIK it doesn't.

> > What routines need to know about children that have died?
>
> 'I'd rather say 'Completed' than 'Died'. 'Died' is so emotive ;-)

Bah, it's a UNIX tradition!

"So my child zombies died, but weren't reaped so I had to kill their
parent."

> The graphics loading code needs to know that an image file has been
> converted to a loadable format so that it can begin the process of

A-ha! Don't we have a flashing cursor? Can't the callback do a quick
check of a sigatomic_t somewhere and call into  the
sigprocmask-protected code?

IOW we already have periodic code, we can do the poll cheaply, no?

regards
john

--
"Spammers get STABBED by GOD." - Ron Echeverri