On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:52:45PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> ... or pickes the right distribution. [And no, I am not too big a fan of
> SuSE as they don't include LaTeX + Co in the personal edition anymore...]

Some people can't pick.  We were talking about academic non-technical
users.  They get introduced to Linux most of the time in their
university department, where somebody else picks up for them.
In USA, many universities picked Red Hat long time ago.

Some of these users may decide to buy their own Linux machine after a
while.  So they go online to Dell, IBM, whatever, and they get a machine
with preinstalled -- surprise, surprise -- Red Hat.

And most of such users don't bother learning about distributions.
For them Linux is Linux, plus they prefer to have the same environment
as at work.

Another trend I noticed among both technically unsavvy and savvy
academic users in USA is that they are buying Apple computers
with Mac OS X more and more.  They will not hurt Microsoft any time
soon, but I would say that is a progressive trend.
We may want to support that Mac OS X port with greater care.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/