On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Rob Lahaye wrote:

> > IMHO as it should be.
>
> That is: you want people to use a legitimate email address (with the
> subscription mechanism), and then silently put the full email address on
> a public archive. Not very nice at all!

Lars' point might be that contribution to the lists should be public, and
that you should also be able to contact the author of a post. That makes
sense to me anyway, and in that sense I think it is the way it should be.

Obfuscating the e-mail addresses in the list archives might be an
alternative, but I suspect spam harvesters wouldn't have too much problem
with decoding the addresses if they really tried.

> I'm suprised nobody is upset about this!?!

I feel kind of resigned, i.e. I accept the spam because of the need for
being open. I am more annoyed with the spammers who add advertisment links
to the wiki.

Speaking of spam, I've just gotten two spams that went straight through my
otherwise excellent spam filter. In this case the e-mail contained very
little text and an attached GIF-image (abt 10kb) (to be honest, I never
opened the image since I from the title assumed it'd be spam, and that the
image would contain the actual advertisment).

regards
Christian

--
Christian Ridderström                           http://www.md.kth.se/~chr