On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 02:39:56PM +0200, Chris Karakas wrote:
> José Abílio Oliveira Matos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am 19.10.04 13:32:21:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:12:47PM +0200, Chris Karakas wrote:
> > >
> > > - Somebody in the DocBook committee decided that underscore is "out".
> >
> >   First I understand your point, second the problem is precisely the
> > opposite that you refering to.
> >

> Well...that's precisely what happened to me, believe it or not.
> My documents worked with underscores in the labels, then I upgraded
> DocBook, openjade and the rest - and suddenly they did not work.

  But then it wasn't the docbook committee but probably the packager
decision to comply with the rest of the world. (Notice that I am not
criticizing you, you are free to change your SGML declaration according to
the standard.)

  I have been searching the mailing list for this and I have a couple of
messages that support this.

> Sorry, but in this case I change the SGML declaration, not the labels.
> Cool URIs don't change. Cool labels don't change either:
>
> http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/cool-labels-dont-change.html
>

> > > And why all this? Because LyX thinks it must correct my labels
> > > and impose his view of correctness on my names.
> >
> >   I'm sorry this is non negotiable. LyX should work out of box.

  What is not negotiable is the default behaviour, FWIW.

> Then make LyX call an external parser and validate through it.
> But leave the labels intact and the decision to t  he user.
> LyX should not change the user's labels, this is not LyX'
> responsibility!

  This is the same reasoning as for latex. There as well there
are people who think the same as you do.

  We should have a uniform criterion, no matter which backend we use. And we
have decided to mangle the ids. This applies to latex, linuxdoc and docbook.

> >   What we can do is allow the users to specify what characters are allowed
> > in CNAMES. This is easy we garantee that those characters will not be
> > messed. Is this acceptable for you?
>
> I am not sure. I am against automatic label changes, even for a
> "good purpose". If the user types a label and sees a different
> filename in the "rendered" document, he will go crazy - at least
> I would do...
>
> It violates the principle "you asked for it, you got it".

  That is not your principle. ;-)
  What You See Is What You Mean (not What You Get). :-)

  Notice that that principle is not clear as that, using lyx with docbook we
are using lots of hidden assumptions bellow. This is not the single one.

> If my SGML Declaration is such that makes my documents
> non-sharable with others - so be it. It iy my responsibility as a
> user and owner of my documents. It is not LyX to blame for this.

  If you use a different SGML declaration that can be configured as I have
shown before. Actually it is enough to have this file in your local lyx
directory for layouts ( usually $HOME/.lyx/layouts) this modified version of
db_stdclass.inc

-------------------------
Input db_stdclass.inc
ClassOptions
        Other "CNAME=..."
End
-------------------------

  That means that every docbook classes will work. This means thus that all
your documents will work.

  This is almost the same as the dsssl or xsl configuration files for the
transformation. You then use your own configuration aver the standard files.

** Angus **
One more point as the texclasses behave as xls. ;-)
******

> If you want LyX to "work out of the box", you should pursue the idea
> of "validating against the DTD while editing", not "inserting new
> characters and replacing old ones in the user's labels in the hope
> that these will pass the DTD test later".

  IMHO we should a validation stage that will be called manually or before
converting to other formats. I have discussed that with Andreas last week.

> You can't know what configuration the user has.

  That is why you can configure it. It the user has a different setup he can
configure lyx accordingly.

  Notice that at present I can't have a label called 'José'. But if I
change my SGML declaration to allow the _é_ then I can use it.

  If I know enough as to want stable labels, then I know enough not to
change them in the first place. I just want to show you that this arguments
is as defensible as yours. Using almost the same arguments. :-)

--
José Abílio Matos
LyX and docbook a perfect match. :-)