Chris Karakas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The non-expert user will use underscores in his labels and will not be amused
> to see that they were transformed to something else without warning.

Do you think the non-expert user will notice? Even if, they would notice that
any special chars except "-" and "." are mangled and adjust their expectations.

If they had existing SGML/XML files before, they would either have adjusted
before because of the SGML parsers error messages or become expert users
 (I would say, once you know how to modify you SGML dclaration
you are an expert ;-) )

A non-expert user like me is for sure non-plussed if they write an SGML doc
with LyX and then can't feed it to Openjade successfully.

> Ah...Warning!
> How about a warning, to be output when LyX exports the file to DocBook?
> Then, for every change that is done by LyX (in labels, names, whatever),
> add a Warning that says what LyX did and that the user can change it
> by using the graphical layout editor.

Could we reuse the dialog which opens when the document class
changed and some layouts could not be converted?

For the warning I would just add a reference to the manual section where
it is  explained.

And for the settings dialog I prefer (in this order)
1. special flag for converter (the user could define a "nonmangled"
    Docbook format
2. Document settings
3. none (edit .layout file manually)
4. .layout file editor