On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 07:37:34AM +0100, John Levon wrote:

> > > This seems an excellent route towards dataloss*.
> >
> > Not true. You can catch all of these exceptions in the main loop and pop
> > up a flashing red sign "something went wrong but I refuse to chrash
> > right now". Things like this can be made obvious.
>
> Sure, but how's that going to encourage users to use 1.4.0cvs?

If the result is still usable, it's usable.

Right now we crash e.g. when we can place the cursor correctly after an
'undo'. Of course it will be annoying to have the cursor jump to pos 0
in the current par after an exceptionally tricky 'undo', but people have
been living with that since day one for e.g. mathed (cursor always left
mathed on undo()).

So this is 'more usable' than a plain crash.

Of course, fixing the real problem is nicer and should be prefered in
the long run, but I'd rather have a usable LyX in finite time than an
unusable in infinite time.

Andre'