Georg Baum wrote:

>> I'd like the booktabs patch developed and stabilized outside the main
>> branch in CVS. Either completely outside CVS or in a separate branch.
>
> Ok. I think it should be done in CVS. JÃrgen, should I create a branch
> (following Alfredos hints, I did it never before)?

I have to warn you: branchs are a bit of a PITA.
I've made CoordBranch mainly because I wanted revision tracking.

The mechanism is simple: you keep a "BookBase" "tag" in the main trunk with
the last version you synced to. (a tag is a revision label)

This is what I've done for CoordBranch in 1.4.0cvs:

- create a tag (pointing to the last version in the main trunk, HEAD)

cvs rtag -r HEAD BookBase lyx-devel

- create the branch from that tag

cvs rtag -b -r BookBase BookBranch lyx-devel

- cd to an existing lyx-devel source tree (possibly already with booktab
changes)

and cvs update -P -r BookBranch

- to move it to the BookBranch branch. (you can also put -r BookBranch to
the usual cvs checkout command).

The above you need to do it once.

- Then you use your branch like normal cvs but periodically you do:

1) cvs rtag -F -r HEAD BookNewBase lyx-devel
2) cvs update -j BookBase -j BookNewBase
3) cvs rtag -F -r BookNewBase BookBase lyx-devel

- 1) to create a new BookNewBase base tag in the main branch at the last
revision, 2) to merge changes occured between the old BookBase and
BookNewBase. Then solve conflicts, compile, check etc, and 3) to move the
BookBase tag to the position where BookNewBase is.

I haven't merged back to the main trunk yet, so you are on your own ;-)

> Here comes a port to 1.4 (that I did already yesterday in order to try it
[...]

Cool.

HTH, Alfredo

PS: I'm wondering... maybe you could as well work directly in CoordBranch?
Dunno what would be the disadvantages...