Alfredo Braunstein wrote:

> I see. And what's the improvement wrt to plain LaTeX tables? The ability
> to put horizontal lines independently in any column?

The output quality. You can kind of "emulate" formal tables with LaTeX's own
tabular stuff, but that looks just plain ugly (to say the least). Booktabs
has thick rules (for top and bottom) and thin rules (for inbetween) and
other stuff that makes a table look like it should for good typography.

Additional to Andreas' link, I'd like to redirect your eye to this:
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/german/tabsatz/tabsatz.ps
It's a german tutorial, but the example tabulars speak for themselves.

Jürgen