tex2lyx pulls in a few files in the src/ directory together with the
src/support library. I reckon that changing the license of tex2lyx to the
GPL will require the agreement of these people:

Alejandro Aguilar Sierra
Alfredo Braunstein
André Pönitz
Angus Leeming
Asger Alstrup
Baruch Even
Claus Hentschel
Dirk Niggemann
Georg Baum
Herbert Voß
Ivan Schreter
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
John Levon
João Luis M. Assirati
Jürgen Vigna
Lars Gullik Bjønnes
Martin Vermeer
Matthias Ettrich
Ruurd A. Reitsma

That's based on the '\author' field in the header of each file.

As a first step, shall I drop off an email to all those people listed in
the CREDITS file explaining that we'd like to use the GPL without this
great big hole in it?

Is this a good idea, or shall I just drop the whole thing?

Perhaps we should have a page analogous to
    http://www.boost.org/more/blanket-permission.txt
where we keep a record of those people that are happy with a change in
licence. Something like:

The following people hereby grant permission to replace all existing
licenses on their contributions to LyX with the Gnu General Public License
version 2 or later.

--
Angus