> > As for the second question, I'm able to define an explicit
> > converter as you specified and the graphic loads correctly. I
> > removed the convertDefault.sh file to make sure I wasn't being
> > fooled that that was being run. Reinstating it, though, and then
> > removing the explicit converter, the eps file no longer loads. Is
> > this expected behavior?
>
> When you say "remove the explicit converter", do you mean from the
> preferences file? You did press "Apply" or "Save" on the dialog after
> pressing "remove", right?
>
> (Basically, yes, I am surprised.)

This is now working for me, though I'm a bit confused as to why it is.
My best guess is that my environment wasn't pure after installing the
Ghostscript/ImageMagick tools, though in that case I don't know why it
would have ever worked. But now I get proper EPS->PPM conversion through
convertDefault.sh and EPS->PNG conversion through the explicit
converter. To answer your question, yes, I've been hitting "Save" on the
dialog after all changes.

By the way, I think the converter dialog is suboptimal UI. To add a
converter, I have to select an existing one and edit it, pressing the
Add button only at the end of the process. Because of this intuitively
backwards approach, the Add button is initially greyed, making the user
(or at least me) wonder how one adds a new converter. The approach makes
a cautious user (don't tamper with what's there for fear of losing it)
wonder how to get the Add button enabled. I think a user's instinct
would be to expect to go into an Add/Edit mode. The File Types dialog in
Windows (My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types) is an example of
more familiar behavior for lists of configurable items, with New,
Delete, and Change buttons.

Another example of confusing UI is the Change Text Style dialog. There
are "Never Toggled" and "Always Toggled" dropdowns, and a "Toggle All"
checkbox. On an apparently separate axis, there's an Apply button and an
"Apply changes immediately" checkbox. It may all be tied into useful
semantics, but it's confusing to a user trying to figure out what it all
means. In any case, the dialog design does not allow at least a
Windows/Mac user to apply what they know or are familiar with regarding
applying text styles.

Without making a study of the LyX dialogs, I have to say my casual
impression of various dialog or modal UI contains much of this
suppress-what-I-know, learn-the-LyX-way. That's strictly from a Windows
and somewhat Mac UI perspective, for what it's worth. I probably should
have started a new thread for this, and I hope my comments don't seem
ungrateful. One has a limited time to enjoy one's novice status and
report on what's difficult in a UI before familiarity and acceptance
sets in.

Thanks
Rob