On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 04:49:53PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:19:06PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 04:01:26PM +0100, Angus Leeming wrote:
> > > As soon as you have acknowledged the recursive nature of the current
> > > update(), then something like this was bound to be needed. Well done for
> > > getting to grips with it all.
> >
> > I understand (now) that update() might be called recursively (again).
> > However, this does not serve any purpose but rather should be considered
> > a bug.
>
> I agree.  A user typing faster than the UI doesn't want to see every drawing
> operation happen, with lyx lagging more and more behind.  Just skipping
> any "stale" drawing operation and do the last one only should be better.
>
> Coarse screen updates when the cpu can't keep up is much better than detailed
> but lagging updates.

And our real problem is that our updates do not serve only the purpose
of showing something on screen, but also to put the coordcache in some
sensible state. This can't be skipped if we expect e.g. <down> to
work even while typing fast.

[Actually, there seems to be some bad Qt GUI interaction involved as the
problem shows only up when having certain dialogs open. Otherwise, plain
full redraw seems to be fast enough...]

Andre'