Uwe> - If Acrobat/Acrored if found by LyX's configure script the
Uwe> following entry is made to lyxrc.defaults:

Uwe> \viewer pdf "acrobat"

Isn't there a way in NSIS to check whether the pdf extension is
registered? There is no reason to force the user to use acrobat if he
prefers gsview or whatever.

So what would be nice for all viewers is to check whether the
extension is registered and in this case to use "start" with proper
options as a viewers. Actually, we should add code in LyX itself to
use the built-in viewers if they exist. I am not sure it would be so
difficult to do.