Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Do we want the {} always or never?

You're right, we should make it consistent. I'd propose to always use {}, since only space is missing them. And it is more consistent with the LaTeX output and similar insets (insetspecialchar).
Is this fine with you?

Basically, I am OK with the patch provided (1) some nice person writes
the lyx2lyx code and (2) we decide what to do with the format.

Yes. Would one of the two nice lyx2lyx persons be so kind? Two conversions have to be done
\InsetSpace \space --> \InsetSpace \space{}
\insetSpace \, --> InsetSpace \thinspace{}

Whoa! Whilst that is consistent, I'd like to remind you that LyX has aspirations to be more than just a LaTeX frontend. IMO we should output the semantics, not the LaTeX code:

\InsetSpace \space --> \InsetSpace space
\insetSpace \, --> InsetSpace thinspace

Angus