On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:47 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:

> >Do you get any irregular scrolling behaviour, or page scrolls that you
> >"didn't ask for"?
> >
> >Can you select and scroll with precision, without overshooting and
> >having to page scroll back?
> >

> Testing some more, I see that I often overshoot by one jump, sometimes two.
> The problem then is that the jumps are so big - two jumps is a whole page,
> while one jump too much is manageable without scrolling back.

If you were a faster human being, do you think you would still get these
overshoots? (What I am asking is, is there a remaining problem in the
software?)

> I guess more delay would make it easier, but at the big price of
> slowness when
> selecting many pages.  Big selections are slow enough as they are already.
> Smaller jumps, such as 1/4 or 1/5 of a page would make it easier, even
> if the
> delay is reduced further to keep the same scrolling speed as now.

Yes... but hard to do within the current paradigm. Actually scroll speed
dependence on where you keep the mouse would be best, but not doable in
my understanding without major change. (I actually tried to make the 200
ms delay into a variable that could be tuned at runtime, but failed
miserably. Does anyone know if that can be done, and how?)

> Seeing where I am in the document is no problem with the current speed,
> the problem is more one of reaction time.  I have to move the mouse
> a little up to stop the scrolling.

Yes, that's by design.

- Martin