> This is _not_ a LyX problem, so it should not be fixed in LyX,
> especially when the fix make the LyX code less straight-forward.

I do not agree with you. Lyx is particularly vulnerable to this
problem since every dot after an inset will be put as the first
character of a line. In my case, almost all citations are put at the
end of sentences and cause this problem.

Then, if a normal lyx user is faced with this problem, and need to
choose one from the following list to blame, who do you think he will
choose?
  a) his trusty sendmail 50.2.3 that is sending a trillion email a day,
  b) his MS/OE 10.0  that he paid $1000 for it, or
  c) lyx 1.3.6 that opens an emailed .lyx file with problem.
You figure the answer for him.

It sounds a bit unfair, but it is indeed lyx's responsibility to fix
this problem, especially when we do not have control over mail
servers/clients.

Cheers,
Bo