----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Cc: <lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [announce] sixth release of LyXWinInstaller

Michael Gerz wrote:

Bo Peng wrote:

The mistake is making C:\Program files the default for LyX and
friends.

I totally agree. I think it is a good idea to install Lyx to c:\lyx by
default.

No, the directory must be configurable. On my (German) machine, the
appropriate directory is "C:\Programme". There is nothing worse than
programs that ignore basic Windows guidelines.

This will save us from some troubles, but not all. Most windows users
save their files under "...\My Documents" or "... and
Settings\Desktop" and will still suffer from this problem. It is quite
tricky to move these folders to something like D:\Documents.

Indeed. We cannot assume that all Windows users have administrator
privileges (in fact they shouldn't). Being unable to use "\My Documents"
is like forbidding a *nix user to use $HOME (guess what he will tell you
:-)).

In other words: We have to support spaces in paths to the maximum extent.

Right. And since I install at C:\Program Files\LyX and the bloody thing
works for me, I'm going to put on my grumpy old man hat and say it's a
"user error" to try and use a .bst file in a path with spaces.

Signing off this thread now...

--
Angus

And to think, just last night it was a party hat. I thought your post
was missing the usual reminder that whosoever developer declareth
the value of patch, yea verily, let him proceed to make it so,
to paraphrase:

Free software isn't built on assumptions, it's built on contributions. If
you're sufficiently inspired by your convictions to want to do something about it, then I'm sure that the MikTeX people will be more than happy
to help you help them.