Martin Vermeer wrote:

Instead, consider the attached patch. What it achieves is making all
inside-paragraph selecting operations, whether by keyboard or by mouse,
of single-paragraph type. This _should_ produce a speed-up as long as
the selection remains within a paragraph.

I tried to test that there are no "turds" or other side effects, and it
seems to be OK. Please test some more if you can.

I think this is clean enough for 1.4.0, or else 1.4.1. Depends a bit on
how much of a useful speed-up it produces.
Dear Martin,

using qtwin on Windows, I cannot see any difference. The flickering still occurs even if I select text in a single row. (BTW: The best way to cause flickering is editing a short document that does not cover the full screen; you can see easily how the gray background at the bottom flickers).

Another thing that astonishes me: Why do we have to do a full redraw if a single character is inserted/deleted? It shouldn't be necessary in most cases.

Michael