Georg> We have no format information for a file if
Georg> getFormatFromContents() does not recognize the file format.
Georg> This was no problem in the old days when formats and extenions
Georg> were mixed, but we currently need a format even if the default
Georg> converter is used. The patch removes this requirement by adding
Georg> some hardcoded decisions if the format is unknown: Convert to
Georg> ppm for on-screen display, assume bitmap data (png) in
Georg> insetgraphics for determining the target format, and simply
Georg> leave out the format prefix when calling convert, i. e. don't
Georg> call

I do not like this png hardcoding thing...

>> Wouldn't it be easier for now to just recognize XCF?

Georg> I don't know how easy XCF files can be recognized in
Georg> getFormatFromContents().

/etc/magic says:
# XCF:  file(1) magic for the XCF image format used in the GIMP developed
#       by Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis
#       ('Bucky' LaDieu, [EMAIL PROTECTED])
#       (Recognition of versions: Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

0       string          gimp\ xcf       GIMP XCF image data,
>9      string          file            version 0,
>9      string          v               version
>>10    string          >\0             %s,
>14     belong          x               %lu x
>18     belong          x               %lu,
>22     belong          0               RGB Color
>22     belong          1               Greyscale
>22     belong          2               Indexed Color
>22     belong          >2              Unknown Image Type.

So the file starts with "gimp xcf".

Georg> And of course the problem would only be fixed for XCF, this
Georg> patch fixes it for all unknown formats.

Yes, but in a way I do not like much.

Georg> In the long run we should replace getFormatFromContents() by a
Georg> mimetype-based solution, maybe using file --mime or other
Georg> existing file type databases.

Agreed.