Michael Abshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> <rant>Last time I checked the "free" Microsoft Compiler (the one shiped
> with VS2003) even missed essential tools like nmake or lib! I could not
> believe how useless that compiler package is. Certainly people will not be
> using the free Microsoft compiler if you can't du much more than invoking
> the compiler on the command line. The Express release of VS 2005 is also
> supposedly free, but requires an activation (and a passport account). The
> download of all needed components for that one totals roughly 550MB. Well,
> if Microsoft wants certain classes of developers (students will little
> money, etc.) to migrate away from free C/C++ compilers/environments like
> MinGW/Cygwin they need to learn how to ship uncrippeld "free stuff"</rant>
>
> Michael Abshoff
>
> PS: Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't resist :)

;-)

I share much of your rumblings, however you can download nmake 1.5
directly from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132084
and lib can be simulated by "link.exe /lib".

The free MSVC is not completely useless, indeed I was able to compile
with it a fully functional gnuplot with all the ancillary libs
(zlib, libpng, libjpeg, freetype, libgd, and pdflib).

It was quite painful to get acquainted with its quirks, though, and I
think now I understand why often you have to pay for programs on Windows ;-)

All in all, I think that MinGW/Cygwin is a much better option.

--
Enrico

P.S.: If only a couple of years ago someone had told me that I would
have been discussing about programming on Windows, I would have said
he was crazy ;-)