> One problem I do see is what to do when back-converting files that
> contain change-tracked paragraph breaks, if that is what we want to do.
> Change-tracking info will "leak" in that case: it will be either be
> forgotten that these para breaks were change tracked, or we should
> forcibly merge them upon back-conversion. There is no good solution for
> this. But then, remember that the current half-assed CT is leaky too.
>
> - Martin

*see last line before reading (PS).. this post is kinda pointless and
answers itself, so if you're short on time, don't read it*

I have no idea about the code or anything that has to do with the
fileformat but as I looked at the files produced by the change tracking
I've seen that .lyx format has support for comments (at least the first
line seems like a comment!). If so, couldn't the CT syntax be hidden in
one of those lines flagged with something special that the newer
releases recognize and (as it is a comment) are ignored but written by
the older versions?

This would potentially solve all problems with interversion
communication.. as it stands, I cannot load files created with 1.4.0cvs
in 1.3.6 which is bad.

However, when I think about it I can see all sorts of complications
(such as the 1.3.x user typing a lot at some place where there has been
a change) and I can truly appreciate why it is the way it is... Doing it
any differently would require HUGE amounts of context to be saved
together with the changetracking and that would just be silly ballast
considering that the only thing that would do would be backwards
compatibility...

You probably had good reasons for changing the format so fundamentally
(e.g. replacing \layout with \layout_begin and \layout_end etc..) but I
was wondering whether there will be some sort of plugin for older
versions of LyX to read the new format? Or will the only way to pass
files to older versions be the export capability?

PS: Well.. yes, I can see this post is kinda pointless, but I'm sending
it off anyway because it took some time to type up. Well, better include
that at the top otherwise i'll waste your time for nothing!

--
gimmage: the minimalistic image viewer
         http://gimmage.berlios.de