Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

> Georg Baum wrote:
>> Jürgen, Enrico, it would be nice if you could test this one again, so
>> that it can go in 1.4.0. For me it does work.
>
> It works for me, except for the glitch Enrico reported, and the following
> issue of which I'm not sure if it is related:
>
> 1. Insert formula
> 2. type "foo"
> 3. mark "foo"
> 4. hit C-M
>
> you get an empty math-text inset. 1.3 copied the selected content inside
> the inset. Same problem vice versa (C-m with marked text inside
> math-text).
>
> However, this issue happens with or without the patch, so the patch
> basically works for what it is advertised.

So it is not related to the patch.

Enrico and Jürgen, thanks for your testing.

The patch fixes the C-M text->math conversion for all tested cases of
_valid_ math formulas, with or without delimiters. It has the following
drawbacks:
1) It creates a warning on the console if a formula without delimiters is
converted.
2) It produces invalid results for things that are not really _one_ formula,
e.g. the mentioned $a$ foo $b$.

1) is not the case currently in 1.4, but is IMHO a good trade-off wrt the
currently not working \text{test} conversion.
2) is a regression wrt. 1.3, but IMHO not important because this kind of
pseudo formulas has never been officially supported.

This is IMHO enough data now to make a decision. I'd say that the patch can
go in, because the advantages clearly outweigh the disadvantages.

Lars, what is your opinion?

Georg