Georg Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Am Samstag, 18. März 2006 17:18 schrieb Michael Gerz:
> > Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>
> > > I was maybe not clear... Please do the change for mingw also.
>
> Oh, I thought you were using cygwin. How did you compile qt? It should
> work if you compile it with -mms-bitfields.
>
> > It is wise to remove the option for mingw? I think we are linking
> > against a gettext and libiconv version that was (most likely) built by
> > MSVC or another Non-MinGW compiler.
>
> Exactly that was my reason to remove it for cygwin and not for mingw: On
> cygwin we assume that every library was compiled with the cygwin gcc
> compiler, but on mingw we assume that libraries are compiled by MSVC or
> gcc with -mms-bitfields.
>
> Sorry to be so pedantic here, but I really want to understand this issue
> before doing any change.

Georg, I compile LyX with mingw as a target using cygwin. Cygwin has a
minimal support for mingw as they use it only for compiling their setup.exe
installation tool. Indeed, the only supported library is libz.

I had to compile every library I needed for building LyX, and it
turned out that I only needed Qt, aspell, and libiconv. Nothing more.

So, given that those libraries don't use -mms-bitfields, I think it is
safe avoiding it. Moreover, if those libraries don't use -mms-bitfields
and you enforce it, problems arise (see Abdel case).

I think it is easier to add -mms-bitfields to CPPFLAGS (if needed) than
hacking some m4 file or editing Makefiles to remove it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

--
Enrico