>> bufferlist.C: s = AddName(MakeAbsPath("/tmp/"), buf->fileName());

This one is wrong (should use package().temp_dir()), but not the
problem you see.

>> buf->lyxrc.C: tempdir_path = "/tmp";

It seems that this one is overwritten in LyX::init() anyway. Remove it.

Georg> /tmp should never be hardcoded, if a temporary directory is
Georg> needed then package().temp_dir() should be used. Can you please
Georg> create a patch?

I think the problem is that LyX is compiled in a
cygwin-that-is-not-really-cygwin mode, and it does not understand it.

What are the preprocessor macros that say we are in cygwin -mnocygwin
mode? This is what we have to test for.