Am Montag, 24. April 2006 22:41 schrieb Angus Leeming:
> Bo Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Frankly, windows XP users have got used to install whatever
> > application with administrate privilege. My friends complain a lot
> > that they can not do anything with their IT-maintained PCs, and in the
> > mean time, enjoyed sending emails to the IT guys: hi, please install
> > lyx for me.
>
> Sorry, but that's just fud.
>
> LyX itself does not require that it is installed with admin priviliges.
For the
> installer to require extra priviliges than the package is somewhat
ridiculous.

It is ridiculous to you and me, but makes things easier for Uwe's
"clients". I do want "well-behaved" software also under windows, but most
people don't want that or work with administrator privileges anyway.

> See above. The best that we can do for Win98 is to provide a .zip file
and
> instructions of what has to be done subsequently "by hand".

If you ask me anything older than W2k should not be supported at all. The
energy spent in these obsolte systems is better spent fixing real bugs.

> Frankly, I think that the whole argument is specious. We don't provide
packages
> for Redhat, Debian, Suse et al. We provide these people with the ability
> produce their own packages tailored to their own systems. Uwe's funky
Windows
> installer fills exactly the same niche for the Windows system. All Uwe
really
> needs are the binaries because he's never managed to generate those
himself. He
> get's those from "my" installer because that's a convenient way to
package up
> the stuff he needs. I'm perfectly happy to keep providing him with those
for the
> time being; no doubt other Windows developers could do so in the future.

Please, "windows people" (and I don't mean Angus, since he is retired):
Why don't you build a team to provide official windows support and
improve the existing official installer instead of complaining again and
again? This is a lot of work (simply making Uwe's installer official does
not woerk for reasons given already), but certainly manageable if more
than one person does it.
I m really fed up by these repeated installer discussions, and begin to
like http://www.fefe.de/nowindows/ more and more.

Georg