> Concerning the administrator privilege

Both you and Angus have a point and I am on your side. However, if
miktex is the only program that needs administrative privilege, we can
consider getting ride of it from the bundle.

>  > And we are getting rid of ghostview.
>
> No we aren't. The installer comes with GSview that is distributed under

It is not that ghostview should not be bundled, but that viewers are
not essential part of lyx. Lyx needs Python, imagemagick etc to work,
but ghostview can be replaced by other gs viewers. Starting from 1.4.2
(I hope), lyx will handle the whole viewer business to windows (just
like other programs do) so a "choose a program" dialog will appear if
a user does not have any ps viewer installed. Since acrobat reader is
widely available, most users can bypass gs viewer without problem.

I also would like to dump miktex, since it is big, may already exist
on the system, and requires administrative privilege.

I guess all of us will be happier if

1. The installer is much smaller, with only the essential part of lyx.
I.e., part of Python, a few commands from mingw, imagemagick and
aspell. (Without ghostview and miktex) It would be easier for users
that already have miktex etc to upgrade.

2. Do not require administrative privilege so lyx can be installed by
anyone as a viewer (or fully functional if miktex is already
installed). This will also help upgrade (no need to email IT guys).

3. Do not bundle miktex and check its availability of miktex and warn
user if it is not found. I think users will understand since lyx is
built on top of latex.

Am I making any sense here? I think this takes advantage of both
installers, and I hope that if you two can agree on this, we can work
towards this version as the only official installer.

> So that's what I can do to calm down the installer discussion.
>
> best regards Uwe

Thank you very much for all your wonderful work.

Bo