Georg> Backporting this fix was now trivial since lib/configure.py is
Georg> used. Jean-Marc, shall I commit it? It has a compatibility
Georg> problem with external templates, but this is not a big deal
Georg> since external templates for any other format than latex are
Georg> broken anyway (this is also corrected by this patch).

The patch looks good for 1.4. One thing I do not like is

 \Format docbook    sgml    DocBook                B  ""        "%%"
 \Format docbook-xml xml   "Docbook (XML)"         "" ""        "%%"
 \Format literate   nw      NoWeb                  N  ""        "%%"
-\Format latex      tex     LaTeX                  L  ""        "%%"
+\Format latex      tex    "TeX (latex)"           l  ""        "%%"
 \Format linuxdoc   sgml    LinuxDoc               x  ""        "%%"
+\Format pdflatex   tex    "TeX (pdflatex)"        "" ""        "%%"
 \Format text       txt    "Plain text"            a  ""        "%%"
 \Format textparagraph txt "Plain text (paragraphs)"    "" ""   "%%"''' ])

I think we should not confuse people by use TeX instead of LaTeX. What
about names like
  LaTeX
  LaTeX (for pdflatex)
or
  LaTeX (plain)
  LaTeX (pdflatex)

There is also a bug about the fact that the format names cannot be
translated. Would you have an idea on the subject? Maybe gettext can
find translatable strings in python files...

Finally, another thought for later: instead of adding hardcoded output
formats like we do, wouldn't it be better to add converters LyX->foo
and mark them 'internal'? I think it would remove hardcoding in the
export code. And it would probably allow to add external lyx->bar
converters that work on the .lyx file.