On May 2, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

"Bennett" == Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Bennett> Explain this a bit more. For Mac, I should provide lyxrc.dist
Bennett> in the LyX.app bundle in place of the preferences file,
Bennett> right?

Yes. Does this seems reasonable to you?

Yes.

Bennett> Am I right in thinking that settings from lyxrc.defaults and
Bennett> preferences will overwrite the settings from lyxrc.dist?

Yes.

As I think about it, I don't think that's good. On Mac I want to be able to specify viewers/editors for various file formats in lyxrc.dist. (Actually, I want it to be simply "open" "open" for most of them, since that will use Mac's defaults; the one exception is xfig, for which I need to specify DISPLAY explicitly.) On reconfigure, lyxrc.defaults gets created without specifying any viewer/editor, and this wipes out the settings in lyxrc.dist. So for this reason it looks like lyxrc.dist ought to be loaded *after* lyxrc.defaults. But on linux I can see how lyxrc.defaults ought to take priority.

Not sure what the appropriate solution is.

Bennett> That looks much simpler long term, though I'm not sure how to
Bennett> handle backwards compatibility in the short term. Does this
Bennett> mean I should write an installer script that checks for an
Bennett> existing preferences file and deletes all the lines there
Bennett> that specify default settings that now show up in lyxrc.dist?

If you have identical entries in preferences and lyxrc.dist, they
should be removed from preferences next time the user edits them so
this is not a big problem.

Ah -- nice!

Bennett