Jean-Marc Lasgouttes writes:

Uwe> How's that working? Without Imagemagick you can't for example use
Uwe> JPG-images and export the document to Postscript, you cannot use
Uwe> GIF-images and export to PDF, etc. That isn't "function perfectly
Uwe> well" in my opinion.

Some functions do not work, but LyX works if you know what you want to
do.

Right, but the installer is for all users. Only a few users know the details about graphics. Most of my collegues for example used EPS-images because they didn't know that PDF can embed JPG, PNG and PDF-images directly. So the installer must include Imagemagick by default (perhaps with an option not to install it for the experts) otherwise it would be hard for new users to work with images and others surely will complain about the missing features.

Btw. It's one of LyX's strengths that you can use every kind of image formats directly in LyX - there's no other text program who can do this. When I want to advertise LyX this is a killer argument, because users don't want to convert images from various sources to a certain format to be able to use it in a text program.

regards Uwe