Bo Peng wrote:
> You may not agree with me, but autotools does not extend well either.
> Although autotools do their own jobs well, extending them are
> difficult. For example,  people have been integrating scons with nsis
> and allow things like "scons wininst". I guess this will be close to
> mission impossible within the autotolls framework.

Nonsense. What is needed? Answering my own question:
* integrate development\Win32\packaging\build_package.sh into a Makefile.am
* add the ability to add the LyX icons into the executable as part of the
build process rather than doing it by hand.
* control the compilation of
development\Win32\packaging\installer\lyx_configure.C from a Makefile.am
* run NSIS over development\Win32\packaging\installer\lyx_installer.nsi

I think it would take me a couple of days to do that. No need to go
anywhere near m4. Just using the Bourne shell.

The autotools work, they work on Windows, at least with gcc, they are
*very* powerful and they're as ugly as sin. I'll acknowledge the ugly as
sin bit but to say they're not up to the job is ridiculous.

--
Angus