Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Bennett Helm wrote:
This profile was generated by simply typing into the middle of a large document for 30 seconds.

I see that there is a lot of improvement compared to your former profile WRT qt4 frontends. Do you feel the improve in speed? AFAICS the clear culprit is again font_metrics::width(). This is true for your first three patches (typing and scrolling with down keys). But I really don't understand where the time is spent inside this method (it is not shown in the deeper profile results):

 + 6371.2 ms font_metrics::width(char, LyXFont const&) (lyx)
 |   1.0 ms LaTeX::deplog(DepTable&) (lyx)
| - 10.1 ms font_metrics::width(char const*, unsigned long, LyXFont const&) (lyx)

Does that mean that "font_metrics::width(char const*,...)" is using 10.1 less time than its parent "font_metrics::width(char, LyXFont const&)"? IOW, is it to say that "- 10.1 ms" is the same as + 6361.1 ms" ?
Then why is there no deeper results for it?

Bennett,

I have enabled the font width caching in the qt4 frontend. Under windows I have a 5 seconds improvements when scrolling the UserGuide with pageDown (35 instead of 40).

Could you SVN update and try this please?

Thanks,
Abdel.