Bennett Helm wrote:
On May 29, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Bennett Helm wrote:

I've tried it with 1.4/qt3 on Mac. It seems to help in two respects:

1. scrolling speed gives me an improvement similar to what Abdel reported: 39 seconds down to 35.

2. although typing doesn't lag on either version, without the patch I can push processor usage up to 75-80% when typing fast in lyx, whereas with it I can't get above 50%.

I'll test later to see if it makes LyX/Mac on my slow (466MHz) laptop bearable.

Now I've tested: it is usable on my slow laptop, but it just barely keeps up with typing speed. More speed improvements would be welcome, but this is a great help.

I have been experimenting using a QPicture "cache" inside QLPainter instead of drawing directly to the pixmap for each operation. The purpose of a QPicture is to record painting operation and replay them on a file, an image or the screen when told to. The gain in speed is *impressive*. Unfortunately the lyx core drawing assumes that the painting device is a pixmap so the drawing on screen is all scrambled. Fixing the drawing routine would break the other frontends so I don't think this would be a welcome change in the short term.

In the longer term, I think it should be possible to use Qt rich text editor directly instead of doing everything by hand.

Abdel.