Abdelrazak> I have been experimenting using a QPicture "cache" inside
Abdelrazak> QLPainter instead of drawing directly to the pixmap for
Abdelrazak> each operation. The purpose of a QPicture is to record
Abdelrazak> painting operation and replay them on a file, an image or
Abdelrazak> the screen when told to. The gain in speed is
Abdelrazak> *impressive*. Unfortunately the lyx core drawing assumes
Abdelrazak> that the painting device is a pixmap so the drawing on
Abdelrazak> screen is all scrambled. Fixing the drawing routine would
Abdelrazak> break the other frontends so I don't think this would be a
Abdelrazak> welcome change in the short term.

What kind of changes would you need?

Abdelrazak> In the longer term, I think it should be possible to use
Abdelrazak> Qt rich text editor directly instead of doing everything
Abdelrazak> by hand.

Can we add tables in there? Collapsable insets?