Because it is not the job of LyX to maintain other project source code,
so they say.

Exactly, also because it is difficult to keep them up to date. What if
aspell has a new release?

The binaries (including headers and libs like your Aspell package)
should be compatible for all version of windows so need to recompile
them. Then it will be even easier to compile and package lyx.

I doubt that the binaries are allowed, since it does not make sense,
and expensive to version-control them. I think it is reasonable to
propose to Lars that

1. upload lyx win installer to svn/winInstaller (parallel to www-devel)
2. upload patches to various external programs (with readme)
3. upload modified binaries to devel.lyx.org/contrib or /winInstaller.

Bo