Hello LyXers,

last month I started to rework the documentation files.
(I CC this Message to the devel-list because I don't know who is reading the docs-list.)

Reasons:
First I just wanted to update the documentation for LyX QT 1.3.x and make a bit more platform independent. But while working on the UserGuide, I realized that it is really out of date. The last complete rework was done in 2000 for the LyX 1.0.x series. In the meantime many updates and new sections were added. But the documentation still misses many informations and doesn't follow a structured concept. E.g. not all menus are described and there is no explanation for the icon buttons under the menu bar.

Plans:
I would rework the Tutorial and the UserGuide.
The UserGuide would contain a section with an overview of all menus and icon buttons. There will be a short description of the function and a reference to the relevant section in the UserGuide. A section about the icon buttons is yet available for the german documentation (thanks to Hartmut Haase). I will include this for the english version.
The sections about the menus are planned as reference which will make it easier to search in the doc.
The UserGuide will also have a short section about needed programs and install issues for the platforms Linux/Unix, Mac and Win.
But I want to delete platform specifig stuff like "Configuring the X keyboard" etc. and ironic comments. (These comments are often funny but shouldn't be part of a manual.)
At last I want to merge the Customization and Extended manual. Some of its stuff will be part of the UserGuide.

Format issues:
I started once with a new layout for the UserGuide in koma-script book format. As koma-script is no longer part of the default installation of VTeX and MikTeX, I returned back to the standard book class.
But if the rework is done, I want to merge the manual files to a printable koma-script book file using all layout tricks, so that it can be published as a real book. (I wondered why there is no book about LyX available.) Publishing a book could help to reach more people and could possibly help to pay the bills for one of the next developer meeting.
What do you think about it?
I changed the menu names in the documentation to the one used in LyX QT 1.3.x. I hope that they are the same as in LyX XForms. If this isn't the case, we should make them as uniform as possible for all GUIs.

What I did/do:
The rework of the Introduction is done.
I currently working on the sections describing all menus and icon buttons.

Questions:
While working on the docs, many questions came in my mind that I would ask in several other messages to this list. I hope someone can help me.

Wishes:
Tell me your opinion about reworking the docs.

thanks and regards Uwe