On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:48:33PM +0200, Uwe St?hr wrote:

> 1.  The last months I teached LyX to some colleagues and they all
> complained that there is no button in the toolbar for "view/update dvi".
> Therefore I designed a new toolbar with new buttons. It looks like in
> the attached file toolbar.png. I added two buttons for dvi, one button
> for export->pdf, the search and find button, and the button for
> depth-decrement.
> The latter because nobody understands why we have a button for
> depth-increment but not for decrement.
> I tested this toolbar for the last month while reworking the userguide,
> and I find it very ergonomic. What is your opinion?
> (I attached the xpm for the new buttons)

Any toolbar changes need to be against current 1.4cvs (which includes,
for example, both depth-decrement  and depth-increment). There is no
view dvi/pdf, but I'm not too happy with two buttons a piece for
view/update. I've completely forgotten the mechanism and the code for
how update works, but it's not really suitable to have both in a toolbar
(unless we add an off-by-default 'Export' toolbar or something).

> 2. We should strictly separate
> - emphasize and italic
> - noun and small caps
> Emphasize and noun are logical attributes and every document class can
> define its own font for them.

Work has started on this in 1.4cvs (much, much more work to do).
Explicit modification of italic etc. is eventually going to go away
altogether in favour of styles.

> 3. A minor change in the Layout->Document->Layout dialog:
> + paragraph separation
> - separation
> Because I noticed that newbies don't understand what to separate.

Fixed in Qt frontend at least in 1.4cvs

regards
john