Georg Baum schrieb:

When a new feature is implemented to be released in the next LyX version
the developer(s) who wrote the feature create a separate LyX-document
describing the feature. Then somebody who wasn't involved in the
development of the feature checks if he's able to use the feature as
described. This would help us to implement features user friendly
because the revisers of the document will lead to feedback about the
implementation, the usability and the stability of the feature before
the feature is released. If the feature is stable its describing
document is implemented into the userguide.

This is too complicated IMO. I would already be very pleased if developers
who implement a new feature/rearrange menu entries would simply add a
section to the appropriate manual/reflect the changed menus.

For me it is easier to have separate small document describing the new feature. I'll revise it and then inlude it to the official docs. This has the advantage that a professional bug finder ;-) will give feedback.

I fear that if these things have to be implemented in a separate document
documentation updates will happen even less than it currently does.

You misunderstood me, the separate documents are only for the development, they won't be published but included to the official docs.

Uwe, I think that you should work on the official documentation from the
beginning, and put it frequently in svn. Otherwise I fear that we'll get a
situation similar to your windows installer where there was a lot of
duplicated effort.

But that's what I want to do. To say it graphically:

separate document for new feature
special document  --->   Userguide
                 basics

So it ends up in the Userguide.

And by the way, I plan that the version UserguideNV I'm working on will become the official version. It is very similar to the actual userguide but includes more informations about the UI.

regards Uwe