Dominic> I finally able to install lyx v 0.12.0.beta last night after
Dominic> some fighting with the xforms. However, when I tried to use
Dominic> lyx I found that if I place the mouse cursor over the lyx
Dominic> window my text area would go black and I could no longer see
Dominic> any text. By contrast if the cursor is over the back ground
Dominic> every thing seems to be fine and I can read the tutorial and
Dominic> the like. Incidentally, I receive the message "failed to
Dominic> share colors. Using private colormap" whenever I start lyx.

Upgrading to a newer version of LyX (1.0.0pre6 from ftp.lyx.org) would
be a good idea, since the particular bug you are encountering is fixed
there.

JMarc