Dominic Barraclough wrote:

> when I tried to use lyx  I found that
> if I place the mouse cursor over the lyx window my text area would go
> black and I could no longer see any text. By contrast if the cursor is
> over the back ground every thing seems to be fine  and I can read the
> tutorial and the like. Incidentally, I receive the message
> "failed to share colors. Using private colormap" whenever I start lyx.

Close all other applications (except xterm windows) and then start LyX
in order to offer LyX to choose from  the whole palette of colours. Or
upgrade your Xwindows to more than 256 colours.

Most of the other applications are more forgiving with shared colours.
An exception is netscape: While LyX is running you should start it
with a special option: "netscape -install" in order to force it to use a
well designed private colour map.

Norbert

--
%Dr.  Norbert Stribeck   Universitaet Hamburg   fax +49-40-4123-6008