Florian> Inserting a BibTeX references and using them via "Insert -->
Florian> Citation Reference" works flawlessly for me, yet the "key"
Florian> popup of the "Citation" dialogue is always empty when working
Florian> with BibTeX databases. I had expected/ hoped to find all keys
Florian> of the selected BibTex databases there, but not so in
Florian> reality...

Florian> Is this a bug/a misconfiguration on my behalf/a feature? It
Florian> would be nice if LyX could take care of memorizing all the
Florian> BibTeX entry keys!

This is something which is not very easy to do, unfortunately.
However, several bibTeX database editors have been modified so that it
is possible for them to 'talk' to LyX and make it insert a
reference. Such features exist in barracuda, gbib and bibview, I
think.

JMarc