On 22-Apr-99 Andreas Jahnen wrote:

> The graphics are produced with the QMS 820 v51.2 printer driver in Windows
> (using excel as the application). Then I run ps2epsi which produces the
> eps files.
>
> All works fine, but the resolution of the graphics is (I think that,
> because it looks like) always 300 dpi (or less). I print it on a 600dpi
> Laser printer (HPLJ 5si MX/PS). The text is printed in 600 dpi, but if
> there is some grey parts the raster is quite big and not 600dpi.
>
> Where is the problem, because I thought eps is scaleable in the scope of
> that I can move from one to an better printer without problems....

        Have you looked inside the file ("less file.eps") to see what's in it?
True encapsulated PostScript files are vector drawings; they will be all text
strings in the PostScript language.  (You'll see stuff like "/shd {dup dup
currentrgbcolor 4 -2 roll mul 4 -2 roll mul 4 -2 roll mul srgb} bind def"  These
are scalable, because they are just instructions about how to draw lines and
other shapes.

        Some applications, notably Windows ones, do not create true PostScript
graphics files.  They make some kind of rasterized image (a big block with
colored dots in it, like a GIF or TIFF image).  It will *not* look like text if
you examine it, and because it's rasterized it will not scale well, either.
This could be your problem, or it could be something more obscure.  :)

Viel Glück!

---
// Carl Hudkins ]=[ ICQ: 5723399 ]=[ PGP: 0x50238d9e
//
// <Vida> i am afraid of programs!
//  Vida uses Windoze :)