Jitse> I would like to include the fraction 1/2 in a displayed math
Jitse> formula.  However, I don't like LaTeX's default formatting (the
Jitse> fraction gets too big), so I included a \textstyle. The math
Jitse> box looked like this in Lyx:

Jitse>                      1 0 < r < textstyle{ - } 2

Jitse> where the textstyle command and the braces are in
Jitse> red. Everything goes fine, but when I closed the file and then
Jitse> reopen-ed it, the textstyle command disappeared but instead the
Jitse> entire formula was set in textstyle.  Obviously I was not
Jitse> expected to include \textstyle myself, but it is not possible
Jitse> to set only part of a formula in textstyle using Lyx (or is
Jitse> it?)

As far as I know, \textstyle does not take a parameter, so the form
you used does not make sense...

Concerning your problem, you might want to read section 5.6.3 of the
user's guide.

JMarc