>> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:44:28 -1000
>> From: Greg Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: Re: styles that are not paragraphs
>>

>> I asked earlier about how to define a layout to use the
>> tipa IPA fonts.  For whatever it may be worth, I found a
>> hack. I renamed the file "color.sty", copied "tipa.sty"
>> as the new "color.sty", and modified it by (1) changing
>> the \ProvidesPackage line to say "color" instead of "tipa",
>> and (2) adding after the definition of \textipa the new
>> definition
>>      \newcommand\textcolor[2]{{\tipaencoding #2}}
>> so that now when I request colored text, I get IPA
>> printed instead.
>>
>> Greg Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fine hacking, but what about using the general font définition mechanism ?
I don't know about the TIPA fonts, but for sans serif for instance, you
just have to put \usepackage{helvet} or \usepackage{avant} to shift
fron helvetica to avant-garde. Su if TIPA is a sans-serif familiy, this
should work:
 - program the Font button to go to sans-serif in the layout character
menu;
 - every time you mark a word by the Font button,
it is in sans-serif, and the font is selected by the package.

If you need two different sans-serif fonts,
it is more complicated of course. Never tried it.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre