    Nabil> Hello, I am using LyX for writing in French and in French
    Nabil> typography, guillemets have to be preceded and followed by
    Nabil> a small blank. The size and the protection of the blank is
    Nabil> handled by B. Gaule's French package. How ever, I have to
    Nabil> insert these blanks each time I insert a double quote. Is
    Nabil> there in LyX a parameter that would do that for me ? (ie
    Nabil> insert "« " instead of "«")

Hello,

I've decided not to insert the blank automatically mainly because it
is not done for :;!?, and it would be a bit strange to make a special
case with quotes. However, if spacing is added by hand, I seem to
remember that the algorithm which generates quotes has problems... So
this is definitely something we want to investigate.

Moreover, these things are handled differently by the various french
packages; and other languages use these quotes, so we'd have to check
how they do it.

So, it seems there is some work to do it right, and I do not have much
time to do it now. However, if a group of french users submits patches
to improve french support, they'll be welcome :)

JMarc