Hello,

I have built the lyx distributions for a long time now using
gcc-2.7.2.3. However when compiling lyx-1.0.4 I had upgraded to
gcc-2.95.1 and found out that the compiler is VERY picky about type
declarations. The compiler did classify undeclared function types in
Xlib.h and Xutil.h from the X11R6.3 distribution as errors, not
warnings!! The included header files, via forms.h, were treated as C++
header files instead of C header files.

The only way I found to solve this was to add the -fpermissive
directive to the compiler. Another way which I did later was to edit
the header files themseves by replacing all 'extern XFunction' with
'extern int XFunction'. Is this the correct default for undeclared
functions in earlier versions of gcc? At least the executable seem to
run correctly.

Thank you for a good job with LyX.

Svante Signell