>?> Speaking of keyboard accelerators for common math symbols: Does
>?> someone have a file at hand with shortcuts for \alpha, \beta,
>?> \gamma and so on? That would save me half an hour or so to create
>?> it myself.
>
>Did you try "M-m g a" for alpha?

Of course.  I find it to take about as long to type as "\alpha".  I thought about
"M-a" for alpha, etc.  Or maybe "F12-a".  And that for every greek letter.

Probably some people here will find it frivolous to bind a control code to a single
letter.  However, these are used all the time at least in my work, and as far as I can
see almost none of the "M-" combinations is defined already.

>By the way, how do you bind control chars to normal
>?> chars? E.g. I often type C-"-" instead of "_" (which is S-"-") and
>?> would like to bind it to the same thing. --
>
>For math mode, you would have
>\bind "C-minus" "math-insert -"

I'm sorry, but that does not do what I want, C-- still sets hyphenation points instead
of producing subscripts.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?  I pasted your line
into cua.bind (I'm using cua).